[pulseaudio-discuss] Recording with PulseAudio.

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Mon Apr 7 05:48:30 PDT 2008

Hi Gian,

> I am having a rather hard time to get any sound captured while running
> PulseAudio. I'm running Fedora 8 with Pulse Audio 0.9.8, as far as I can
> tell recording is set correctly in the mixer (via GNOME mixer with all
> the devices shown, or alsamixer -c 0), but I can't seem to be able to
> capture any sound either from the command prompt (using arecord)

have you correctly set up your /etc/asound.conf file? Alsa is not pulse
and has to be redirected.

> or  a
> GUI application (like Audacity). It doesn't seem to matter if I choose
> one or another input device, especially in Audacity. Is there anything
> I'm missing? I don't seem to be able to record from any source, please help.

Audacity is another story (cf the pulseaudio perfect setup wiki page). I
think the only way I have been able to make it work with pulseaudio is
by compiling it using portaudio v18 (does not work with pulseaudio v19)
and using the padsp wrapper.

Cheers,

Denis