[pulseaudio-discuss] wiki perfectsetup for skype: solution doesn't work

vatbier vatbier at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 06:30:51 PDT 2008

--- Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> > If I'm correct about this, can someone put this info on the
> > perfectsetup wiki page?
> You are correct. Feel free to change it. It's a wiki :)
Ok, I changed it ( I still don't understand that wiki syntax, I find
editing wiki's awkward).

> It's the fault of Skype for not supporting Alsa properly (or so it
> seems at the moment).
Andypoo in
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=112021&hl=pulseaudio : his
point of view is that it is pulseaudio's fault, not Skype.
Someone else in that skype forum thread: "Skype should not program
anything specically targeted at DMIX. Skype should be programmed to
interface with the ALSA API in a standard way. ... A solid ALSA
implementation in Skype would address most issues for most users but a
pluggable sound API for Skype would be best... ". Let's hope the Skype
linux developer(s) reprogram Skype soon with this suggestion.

> Ekiga works for me, but that's another story.
In a couple of weeks when I install Mandriva 2008.1 I'll try Ekiga
again: I hope this time that bug in ekiga_win32 is resolved. But the
Skype program is still my favorite despite it being closed source.

vatbier