[pulseaudio-discuss] wiki perfectsetup for skype: solution doesn't work

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 7 06:55:49 PDT 2008

vatbier wrote:
> --- Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>>> If I'm correct about this, can someone put this info on the
>>> perfectsetup wiki page?
>> You are correct. Feel free to change it. It's a wiki :)
> Ok, I changed it ( I still don't understand that wiki syntax, I find
> editing wiki's awkward).

Yeah I forget it takes a while to get used to it. I've been using Trac
for years and am pretty familiar with it :)

>> It's the fault of Skype for not supporting Alsa properly (or so it
>> seems at the moment).
> Andypoo in
> http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=112021&hl=pulseaudio : his
> point of view is that it is pulseaudio's fault, not Skype.
> Someone else in that skype forum thread: "Skype should not program
> anything specically targeted at DMIX. Skype should be programmed to
> interface with the ALSA API in a standard way. ... A solid ALSA
> implementation in Skype would address most issues for most users but a
> pluggable sound API for Skype would be best... ". Let's hope the Skype
> linux developer(s) reprogram Skype soon with this suggestion.

Yeah that was me. I hope I'm vaugely correct and that it's good feedback
for Andypoo.

>> Ekiga works for me, but that's another story.
> In a couple of weeks when I install Mandriva 2008.1 I'll try Ekiga
> again: I hope this time that bug in ekiga_win32 is resolved. But the
> Skype program is still my favorite despite it being closed source.

Cool. Well we've been trying hard to get Mandriva 2008.1 ready and
judging by the RC reviews and just my own feelings about it, I think it
will be one of the best yet :)

If you do end up having to disable Pulseaudio for Skype, it's easy to do
it via the "Sound properties" option in Drakconf.