[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio with Motif?

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Apr 8 10:16:47 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 17:58:20 +0200, Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at mediaxim.be> wrote:
> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> > Any example using PulseAudio for sound and Motif (or Athena) for GUI?
>
> I would really like to add networked audio capability to my
> applications, but finding one's way between NAS, ESD, ARTS, JACK, etc is
>   hard going. Currently, PULSE looks very attractive because it does not
> insist on threads, using an asynchronous model instead. Since Motif (and
> Athena) do the same, the match should be good, but I havent found any
> example yet. Just a liiiitle pointer would help a lot.

There's a good reason nobody answered by now: You didn't specify
enough to help you in any way. It's like "I'd like to buy a new car.
Preferred colour is red. Could you advise me which type of car to
buy?"

See the point? There's no connection between Pulseaudio (specifically
its client library) and a given widget set. And in fact, there
shouldn't be any kind of connection to not mix up frontend with
backend. You can for sure put pulse into the input loop of your widget
set. And you'd also implement it in threads (which may or may not be
simpler.)

I don't think there are Motif or Athena programs around using pulse
(hey, one of these is even more dead than the other!)  But you may
find pavucontrol etc. interesting, though these are GTK2 based.

You should, however, *NOT* only implement a pulse backend in your
application. Put an abstraction layer in between to allow to add
direct ALSA and ESD access, too.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                            If it doesn't work, force it.