[pulseaudio-discuss] Effects of Clock resolution on Pulseaudio

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Apr 10 07:33:40 PDT 2008

On Thu, 10.04.08 11:40, DSK (dsk.in.2007 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       I get a message "The chef's recommendation today is Linux with
> high-resolution timers enabled!" when i start pulseaudio on arm processor.
>        The performance is also low. So i checked the clock resolution that i
> have, it is about 10 millisec whereas pulse expects 10 microsec. Would this
> difference effect performance of pulseaudio?

No.

The effect of hrtimers on PA <= 0.9.10 is not that big, unless you
manually configure it for very low latencies.

However in the glitch-free branch this will become relevant.

What exactly do you mean by "perfomarnce is low"?

Most likely someone needs to spend some time to optimize the inner
loops (mixing, resampling, converting)  a bit better for ARM. This
involves hacking a bit on the Speex resampler, ob liboil and some code
in PA.