[pulseaudio-discuss] main.c: daemon startup failed.

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 22:44:57 PDT 2008

Ben,

Please try the below replacement of /etc/pulse/default.pa. Make sure to
back-up your existing default.pa before proceeding.

The main change of note is that I've removed the HAL detection and
inserted static configuration for your soundcard. See the lines for
load-module module-alsa-sink, and
load-module module-null-source,
for more details about that. Also, I went ahead and deleted some modules
which were probably commented out in your file anyway.

Best Regards,

Sean

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published
by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
# Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA.

.nofail

### Load something into the sample cache
#load-sample-lazy x11-bell /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/activate.wav
load-sample-lazy pulse-hotplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-coldplug /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
#load-sample-lazy pulse-access /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav

.fail

### Load audio drivers statically
#This is your ALSA output which seems to work... plug will convert the
sound to big endian
load-module module-alsa-sink device=plug:hw:0 sink_name=output
#This will NOT give you sound input, but it will satisfy PA's want for a
default source
load-module module-null-source source_name=input

#.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
.nofail
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix auth-anonymous=1
.fail
#.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix auth-group=pulse-access

#The below lines would allow only localhost to connect to PA through TCP
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.0/8
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.0/8

#The below lines allow anyone (who can get through your firewall) to
connect to PA through TCP
#These aren't commented out because you mentioned network access in your
posts, Ben
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1
load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1

load-module module-zeroconf-publish

### Load the RTP reciever module (also configured via paprefs, see
above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2
rate=44100 description="RTP Multicast Sink"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Automatically restore the volume of playback streams
load-module module-volume-restore

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the
user during runtime
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
#load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### Set the created sink and source as default
set-default-sink output
set-default-source input