[pulseaudio-discuss] Strange behaviour in module-pipe-sink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 19 07:23:56 PDT 2008

On Tue, 19.08.08 16:05, Knut-Håvard Aksnes (kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu) wrote:

> I see strange behaviour after the following sequence of commands:
> First I load a pipe-sink using this command.

> pactl load-module module-pipe-sink file=/tmp/sound1

This is intended behaviour: module-pipe-sink does not rate limit what
you pull from it. It will not enforce any specify byte rate. if you
just pull the data out of it via "cat", then you will suck data out-of
it as fast as possible, regardless what sample settings you
configured.

You are expected to read from the pipe sink in a speed that remotely
matches the sample rate you configured.