[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 27 06:24:36 PDT 2008

Kevin Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Lennart Poettering opined:
> <snip>
>> PA tries to open audio device via a lot of different device strings,
>> but apparently it may not be opened via any of them. Could you check
>> if you can open the device with aplay? (i.e. "aplay -f CD -D hw:0 <
>> /dev/urandom" or something similar?)
>>
>> Maybe you have a permission problem?
>
> Permissions with what? Can't be /dev/dsp as I have tried running pulseaudio
> after a "chmod 0666 /dev/dsp".

Alsa doesn't use /dev/dsp. It uses nodes in /dev/snd/*

Secondly, permissions on any modern system (which includes F9) for
devices under a graphical session will be handled by ACLs automatically
added/removed for the user with the "active session" by console-kit.

So to check permissions you need to look at the mode (ls -l) but also
the ACL (getfacl).

I've not got much other info to your other questions but hopefully
Lennart can be more informative :)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]