[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 27 14:50:41 PDT 2008

Kevin Gilbert wrote:
> Excellent call. Did a "chmod 0666 /dev/snd/*" which resulted in:

In theory, this chmod shouldn't be needed, this is probably
console-kit's fault... getfacl should show your user as being granted
permission here... Oh wait, you are using system mode right? Then
perhaps the pulse user does not have access. Perhaps the pulse user
should be added to the "audio" group (assuming the files are group owned
by the audio group.

> === begn ===
> I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
> D: module-alsa-sink.c: Thread starting up
> D: rtpoll.c: Acquired POSIX realtime signal SIGRTMIN+29
> E: module-alsa-sink.c: Assertion '(areas[0].step >> 3) == u->frame_size'
> failed at modules/module-alsa-sink.c:177, function mmap_write(). Aborting.
> === end ===

Ahhh indeed. This is the error I got when running pulse on my PS3! I
really should have reported this before, but I didn't really play that
long with Linux on the PS3.

> === begin ===
> # aplay -D plughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
> Playing WAVE 'music/wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
> <sound from speakers - but no pulseaudo running>

This just proves the device and permissions work. It seems the assert
above is the real problem.

>> It measn that with your ALSA setup is wrong
>
> OK, so should I pursue this matter on an ALSA list and stop bothering you good
> folks?

Well, perhaps, depends what the assert above means :D

Perhaps the right shift is dodgy on PPC arch?

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]