[pulseaudio-discuss] java sound implementation using pulseaudio - ports

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 28 02:45:27 PDT 2008

Ioana Ivan wrote:
> Thanks, that's what we decided to do.
>
> I have a question regarding closing the pulseaudio sinks/source. Should
> I use pa_context_suspend_sink/source_by_index/name or just mute them?
> I'm not sure exactly what pa_context_suspend_sink_by_index should do;
> I've tried using it and it didn't seem to have any effect (i.e. I could
> still hear the sound).

Not really sure what you mean by "I have a question regarding closing
the pulseaudio sinks/source." (namely the "closing" bit). Do you mean
when you are done and want to exit your application? Or do you just mean
"stop it from outputting sound"?

If the latter, I think mute is better. Suspend is when the devices have
been asked to be suspended so that another application can use the audio
hardware (or on a timeout so that pulse does not sit there hogging the
device!)

e.g. you can run an application that wants direct access to sound h/w via:

shell> $ pasuspender myapp

And it will suspend pulse's access to the device for the duration of the
applications lifetime.

While I don't know how the Java Ports thing works at all, I'd suspect
you just want to mute it.

HTHs

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]