[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Kevin Gilbert kevin952 at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 30 17:36:53 PDT 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Lennart Poettering opined:
> > 2) There is no file in the PulseAudio source package that has the string
> > SNDRV_PCM_INFO_NONINTERLEAVED or even just the word NONINTERLEAVED!
> > Therefore, does PulseAudio support devices that use the NONINTERLEAVED
> > mode?
>
> We don't support NONTERLEAVED natively. We rely on ALSA to reformat
> the data properly for us. ALSA does this for us when we open it via
> the "plughw" device string, which we try to open as last resort if all
> the other strings (like "front") don't work.[^1]

OK, I'll report this to the ALSA folk and point them to this thread for and
details.

> [1] Which means you won't get surround sound on your machine. We
> probably should be opening plug:surround51:0 instead of just
> surround51:0.... But that's a different problem.

Personally, that doesn't worry me - I'm just after a convenience JukeBox app
that I can have playing in the background that frees me from having to change
CD's every so often. (Of the seven deadly sins, I like sloth the best!)

For critical 2-Channel listening I'll use my stand-alone CD player and for
DVD/BD stuff, I'll reboot into the native PS3 OS and go from there. Others,
however, may take a different view. <shrugs>