[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio --check command

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 06:53:11 PST 2008

It's based on exit codes :)

If pulseaudio is not running, the following command will not produce "Hello":

pulseaudio --check && echo "Hello"

If pulseaudio _is_ running, it will produce "Hello".

Anything you need to do that involves checking for a running
pulseaudio can be processed in a bash or sh shell like this:

export PULSEAUDIO_RUNNING=0
pulseaudio --check && export PULSEAUDIO_RUNNING=1
if [ $PULSEAUDIO_RUNNING == 0 ]; then
      echo "PulseAudio is not running."
else
      echo "PulseAudio is running."