[pulseaudio-discuss] couple with vnc

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 11 07:12:01 PST 2008

On Thu, 11.12.08 10:01, Brian J. Murrell (brian at interlinx.bc.ca) wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 14:45 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > You shouldn't be using padevchooser anymore. It is obsolete.
>
> As in completely obsolete?  i.e. distro vendors should not be shipping
> it?  Note that I am using pulseaudio 0.9.10.  Not sure how that affects
> this deprecation of padevchooser.

They cerainly should install it by default. They may ship if it if
they like to collect bugs.

> So if padevchooser is obsolete, how do I, as a desktop graphical user
> access the manager, volume control, volume meters, preferences, etc.
> that padevchooser gave me access to?  But most importantly, how do I
> make default server, sink and source changes that padevchooser lets me
> make?

Simply use pavucontrol. Use tunnels and right-click on each stream you
want to move to a different sink.

> > padevchooser basically does what pax11publish does: manipulate a few
> > properties of the X11 root window. You can view them with "xprop -root
> > | grep PULSE". Manipulating X11 root window properties is pretty easy
> > from your own programs. Just check the pax11publish source code for
> > more information.
>
> Ahhh.  So the root properties are the canonical location of the
> pulseaudio server settings.

root *window* properties. But I wouldn't call that "canonical". There
are multiple ways to configure the server to use. The X11 root window
property stuff is just one way, but a very useful one. You can user
env vars, too...

> I notice any currently playing audio (like a rhythmbox for example) does
> not change play locations until it's paused/stopped and resumed.  I
> guess there is no way to change in progress streams?  Although, I can do
> that from the Volume Control applet, on a stream by stream basis.  Is
> there a programmatic way of doing that?

Yes, that's why you should be using pavucontrol. It exposes that
functionality in the UI. Simply right click on a stream and there you go.