[pulseaudio-discuss] pidgin seems to get it's connection hung up

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 11 19:48:51 PST 2008

I've noticed a number of times on my Ubuntu Intrepid machine that Pidgin
seems to get it's pulseaudio connection hung up.  Normally I only see a
listing in the Volume Control applet for pidgin for the brief time it
takes to send whatever short sound alert it wants to send.

Every now and then though I will see an entry in it for Pidgin that
doesn't go away, yet there is no currently playing sound and no more
sounds will come through from pidgin until I restart it, to release the
hung up stream.

Anyone seen this or know why it happens, or if there is a less intrusive
way than restarting pidgin, to have it's stream reset?  Terminate Stream
will make it go away, but pulseaudio will still not receive (or play)
any more sounds from pidgin until it's restarted.

Thanx,
b.