[pulseaudio-discuss] stuttering

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Dec 17 05:51:53 PST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:08:05 +0000, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

So nobody has any ideas regarding stuttering sound quality?

I've tried increasing the priority of the sound server.  No help.

I've checked the FAQ and couldn't find anything about stuttering there
either.

I've googled and seen all kinds of "stab in the dark" solutions but
nothing that really looked like a correct solution.

I really do want to stick with pulseaudio, as it has features I really
like, but I can't take all of this stuttering.  It's driving me nuts.
I'm going to end up having to remove it (or bypass it for everything
except network audio) just to get some decent audio quality here.  As
disappointing as that is to me.  :-(

I'm using 0.9.10 on Ubuntu Intrepid with a:

04:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)

if that helps with any ideas at all.  You know, ISTR from a long
time ago (so I could be mis-recalling) that these SB Live cards are
more sensitive to latency than other cards.  Any ideas with what to
do in such a situation?  There must be some tuning one can do in
the pulseaudio server to help, no?

b.