[pulseaudio-discuss] a simple way to disable pa

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 09:11:05 PST 2008

Sean McNamara wrote:

> pulseaudio is a daemon. It's a single binary. If you rename the
> binary, PulseAudio won't (can't!) run. Rather obvious now that I
> mention it, isn't it?
>
> sudo mv /usr/bin/pulseaudio /usr/bin/pulseaudio-not
>
> To get it back:
>
> sudo mv /usr/bin/pulseaudio-not /usr/bin/pulseaudio
> (and reboot)

I see. But why reboot? Isn't there an init script to restart pulse audio
or something like this?

> Lacking PulseAudio, you probably won't be any more satisfied with the
> performance/features of ALSA's dmix (or worse, a complete lack of
> software mixing, if dmix is not enabled), but there are other venues
> where you can seek ALSA support now that pulseaudio is disabled --
> that's out of the scope of this ML :)

As I mentioned earlier, I have set Gnome to use Alsa for all categories
of sounds. I have also removed many pulseaudio packages. At present, all
videos and audios appear to be working (I presume alsa is being used now).

In fact, on Ubuntu (Hardy and Intrepid) and on Debian (Testing and
Unstable), I have Alsa working flawlessly. Installing Pulseaudio in
Debian machines (my default OS) had some initial problems but now that
is also working quite satisfactorily so far (haven't tried audacity
yet). The only problem at present is with pulseaudio in Hardy.

> The weakest link of Ubuntu 8.04 is their poor and premature
> integration of PulseAudio -- and they're going to regret that for
> _seven_ years :) But if you are interested in actually solving the

That is what I realized, albeit a bit late. I have been recommending
Ubuntu (Hardy mainly (for its long term support, aka stability), but
Intrepid sometimes), but this pulseaudio business had created many problems.

The users (novices, from Windows, grandma users, etc.) mainly do only a
few things with their computers. One of them is watching video clips
online (home videos, youtube and news clips from various websites are
the most common). The flash based video was giving me a huge problem.

Though I upgraded them from Gutsy to Hardy, Hardy pushed pulseaudio on
to them. I now realize that Hardy + pulseaudio is such a mess (and
pulseaudio is a must have since it is brought by ubuntu-desktop
package). And to think it is a stable version!

Regards and Thanks.

ever having been read.