[pulseaudio-discuss] a little suggestion: start/stop button in pa manager GUI

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Dec 27 14:06:33 PST 2008

'Twas brillig, and H.S. at 27/12/08 19:46 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and H.S. at 27/12/08 00:17 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Sending the streams of an application to a different sink seamlessly is
>>> a heck of a job!
>> What do you mean by this? Personally I find it quite easy with
>> pavucontrol, although it could use some UI love for sure.
>
> Yes, I use that gui too, that is what I had in mind. I didn't know there
> was any other method to accomplish this, though.

It would be interesting to see what kind of system you would find easier
just now? There are two working groups in Fedora and Ubuntu that are
working on making the UI better so please get involved. Not sure how
much inter-group-communication there is tho'.

It can also be done via pactl on the command line but it's very convoluted.

Unless I've misinterpreted your "heck of a job" as being praise rather
than criticism ;)

>> This is just putting wallpaper over the cracks rather than underpinning
>> the subsidence! It would be much better to find out *why* you need to
>> restart pulseaudio and solve that problem instead.
>
> For now it has been only in the instances where some applications do not
> work properly with pulseaudio.

Have you tried with the latest alsa-plugins from 1.0.18? They are nicer
than before.

> The other way is to look at this is that such a control might be useful
> while the application is being developed and it some applications do not
> work properly with it.

For apps that don't like pulse I'd recommend using pasuspender

> In any case, it was just a little feedback though I admit I might not
> being seeing the opposing point of view (or I might just not being
> seeing the problems such a control could create in the overall sound
> system of a machine). If the said feature is not desired, it would be
> helpful is somebody could explain why. Please keep in mind that this
> feedback is strictly from a user's point of view.

I dunno, perhaps others folk agree with you but I'd rather have pulse
just work in the background. I don't even want to know it's running
really provided everything works. This isn't possible right now but it
eventually will :)

Putting in a "Restart 'cause you broke" is rather demotivating but
perhaps it is user friendly until such times as it's never needed :)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]