[pulseaudio-discuss] Help wanted for porting Skype to use PulseAudio

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Sat Feb 2 00:41:14 PST 2008

Tanu Kaskinen a écrit :
> Happened tonight on #pulseaudio:
>
> 00:41 < Q-FUNK> guys, it appears that Skype might be willing
>                 to become good audiozens and stop accessing
>                 ALSA directly.
> 00:41 < Q-FUNK> however, they would need help to understand
>                 what's required for stripping ALSA and OSS
>                 support out of Skype and replacing it with
>                 native PulseAudio support.

My 2 Euro cents on this :

As Skype is a proprietary application, I think it'd be a good thing if
they did their PA support like Macromedia/Adobe did for flash, using
libflashsupport.

Cons :
- it's a tiny additional amount of work ...

But, there are major Pros :
- you can target other APIs/OS than PA (phonon, alsa, oss, ...) for
whatever reason (although I'm not advocating it)
- _more_importantly_ should the PA API/ABI change, the community will be
able to update that library without the need for Skype to release a new
version

Like Macromedia, they could release the initial library with their
current alsa code, and let the "community" add PA support on its own,
working in an open and sustainable way.

Cheers,

Rémi