[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume controller redirection

David Kågedal davidk at lysator.liu.se
Mon Feb 4 14:24:48 PST 2008

This might not really be something for PA to handle, but since it's
related, I thought I'd ask here anyway.

I bought a Creative Xmod to use with my laptop when I'm at the desk.
It is a USB soundcard with a line out that I connect to the speakers.

It also has a larg volume knob, but for some reason that knob isn't a
hardware volume controller, but sends messages over USB and lets the
software handle it. I run GNOME/Ubuntu 7.10, and the knob actually
works without any configuration. But there are two problems:

1) The volume knob will control the main mixer in the GNOME settings,
   i.e. the same as the volume buttons on the laptop. This means that
   unless I reconfigure it, it will control the volume of the internal
   speakers instead of the external speakers that are connected to
   it. I can reconfigure gnome so that both volume controllers control
   the Xmod volume instead.

   Does anyone know if there is a way to make each volume controller
   control different mixers?

2) When I control the volume of the Xmod, the volume jumps up and down
   rather erratically, and loses synch between the right and left
   channel. But this happens when using ALSA directly, so it's not
   related to PA.

--
David Kågedal