[pulseaudio-discuss] Saving an audio stream

David Kågedal davidk at lysator.liu.se
Thu Feb 7 00:44:21 PST 2008

Daniel Kasak <dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au> writes:

> I've tried uncommenting the 'module-pipe-sink' line in the default
> configuration file, but when I try to play sounds after that ( ie with
> 'aplay' ), the process just hangs. Also the file /tmp/music.output
> doesn't grow from 0 bytes. So I assume it doesn't quite work like this.
> Perhaps I have to attach something to this file? What do I do? I just
> want a format that I can later edit ( because many songs play one after
> the other, and we want to cut them up into individual files ) and
> convert to mp3s with lame.

The documentation of module-pip-sink says :

  Provides a simple test sink that writes the audio data to a FIFO
  special file in the file system. The sink name defaults to
  pipe_output.

  The following option is supported:

    file
        The name of the FIFO special file to use. (defaults to:
        /tmp/music.output)

  http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modules#module-pipe-sink

So the music.output will not be a normal file, but a fifo that you can
read from. If you want to simply read from it and save to a file, you
can use cat or dd.

  $ cat < /tmp/music.output > myaudiodata

I don't know what format it will be in, but I suppose it will be raw
PCM data.

Not that I have tested this myself, though.

--
David Kågedal