[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume controller redirection

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 03:45:38 PST 2008

On Mon, 04.02.08 23:24, David Kågedal (davidk at lysator.liu.se) wrote:

> This might not really be something for PA to handle, but since it's
> related, I thought I'd ask here anyway.
>
> I bought a Creative Xmod to use with my laptop when I'm at the desk.
> It is a USB soundcard with a line out that I connect to the speakers.
>
> It also has a larg volume knob, but for some reason that knob isn't a
> hardware volume controller, but sends messages over USB and lets the
> software handle it. I run GNOME/Ubuntu 7.10, and the knob actually
> works without any configuration. But there are two problems:
>
> 1) The volume knob will control the main mixer in the GNOME settings,
>    i.e. the same as the volume buttons on the laptop. This means that
>    unless I reconfigure it, it will control the volume of the internal
>    speakers instead of the external speakers that are connected to
>    it. I can reconfigure gnome so that both volume controllers control
>    the Xmod volume instead.
>
>    Does anyone know if there is a way to make each volume controller
>    control different mixers?

No, X11 and GNOME don't support this right now. It understands only one kind
of Volume-Up/Volume-Down keypresses, doesn't care about the source
device those events came from.

But with Multi-Pointer-X and XInput this will hopefully change soon.

> 2) When I control the volume of the Xmod, the volume jumps up and down
>    rather erratically, and loses synch between the right and left
>    channel. But this happens when using ALSA directly, so it's not
>    related to PA.

Probably some fuckup in the gnome volume mixer applet? Please try this
again and close all mixer windows and remove the applet from your panel.