[pulseaudio-discuss] Help wanted for porting Skype to use PulseAudio

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 05:51:53 PST 2008

On Wed, 13.02.08 14:26, Rémi Cardona (remi at gentoo.org) wrote:

> > Also, libflashsupport is not exactly at the zenith auf API
> > design or implementation. Dunno if it is useful as a positive example.
>
> You are a much better judge for this sort of things than most of us :)
> But even if the implementation of libflashsupport sucks, it at least
> gives "the community" the opportunity to fix or adapt proprietary
> software to our new APIs. And _that_ is a nice idea which should be
> encouraged.

I really doubt that this can ever work properly. libflashsupport is
not really that well documented and full of races. It is kind of
guesswork to write a driver that works more often than it does
not. There are still a couple of issues with the PA backend for Flash,
but for most I fear I cannot really fix them due to the closed-source
nature of the primary user.

We really don't need yet another bad, incomplete, undocumented API
design with just a single closed-source consumer. The ALSA API as an
abstraction layer is still much better then this.