[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse with a bluetooth headset

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 09:20:28 PST 2008

On Thu, 24.01.08 14:27, Leszek Koltunski (leszek at 3miasto.net.pl) wrote:

> > There is a plugin for flash (libflashsupport) for this. flashplugin's
> > built in alsa support used to be buggy and would kill pulse - not sure
> > if it still is tho'.
>
> I dont understand why one needs any special libraries. FlashPlugin
> can already output sound to an alsa device.So if I add the pcm.!default {
> type pulse } to my asoundrc, and if pulse correctly implements the ALSA
> API, any application that correctly uses the API - including FlashPlugin
> - should be able to just transparently use the new 'default' device, am I
> wrong?

Flash is a mess. When it initializes it apparently tries to open the
audio device as many times as it can. While on normal hw devices this
is usually just once, or twice, our four times on PA it's something
like 64. After it has opened that many streams it basically freezes
because it apparently cannot handle that much. Now, PA enforces this
limit of 64, and as soon as all 64 streams are taken up it refuses
further connections, as long as none of the created streams are
closed.

So basically, start Flash on top of PA through our compat layer and PA
will stop working, and Flash will freeze.

Great job, Adobe.

> If that's not the case, I claim something is seriously wrong with Linux
> audio system.

No. There's something seriously wrong in Adobe Flash. And this is not
the only issue, btw.