[pulseaudio-discuss] remote source to local sink

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 09:56:41 PST 2008

On Tue, 15.01.08 10:45, Ulf Behrens (ulf.behrens at web.de) wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently running two pulseaudio servers, one on my windows xp
> laptop and one on my linux desktop. I want to stream the audio oupput of
> for example itunes from my laptop to the speakers connected to my linux
> PC. What I've done up to now:
>
> - I'm running 'virtual audio cable' as a virtual soundcard on the
> laptop. This way the audio stream is available as a source stream to
> pulseaudio on the windows laptop.
> - I'm using module-tunnel-source to connect from my linux desktop to the
> windows PC. Why is the tunnel module deprecated? What do I loose using
> this module? And how do I establish this connection directly as it is
> recommended in the documentation?

It's not deprecated. It has some issues, but it is supposed to become
the recommended way to do network transparent audio. So, it's
everything but deprecated.

> - finally I have the stream I want to listen to as a source in my
> pulseaudio server on my linux PC. How to forward to the sink? I've tried
> to use rtp-send with option loop=1 and rtp-rcv on the same pulseaudio
> instance. It works, but it is not very elegant and I'm flooding the
> network with data which is not really needed anywhere. So I'm looking
> for something like the 'virtual audio cable' for internal use in
> pulseaudio. Any hints? Anyone already working on a solution?

As mentioned many times on this ML already, right now there is no
module for linking a sink and source directly. This is is not as
trivial to write as one might think because adaptive resampling is
required to cope with deviating crystals of the sink and the source in
question. But it's doable, And on my todo list.