[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio automatic startup

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Feb 13 17:03:40 PST 2008

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Hmm, I wonder if there are any drawbacks of this way to start PA. Does
>> gnome-session still upload the samples correctly if it doesn't start
>> esd/PA by itself? It has been a while since I last had a look on the
>> g-s source code.
>>
>> If that's not a problem, than I might do a similar change on Fedora, too.
>
> Not 100% sure about that one. I certainly get my login sound but I have
> been a little confused about not seeing samples in the cache....
> although this is no doubt due to me restarting pulseaudio since logging
> in (I generally don't log out/in much provided my suspend is behaving..).
>
> I'll let you know.

Just tested and it seems to load fine a gnome login plays the sounds nicely.

If you want (and to save too much divergence if it's not needed), you
are welcome to just copy the one I have. It also does some small checks
relating to stale pid files that I should really port to pulse properly
at some point....

You can grab the xinit.d file here:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/pulseaudio/current/SOURCES/pulseaudio.xinit?revision=HEAD&view=markup

and a /etc/sysconfig/pulseaudio template here:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/pulseaudio/current/SOURCES/pulseaudio.sysconfig?revision=HEAD&view=markup

HTHs