[pulseaudio-discuss] Controlling where module-rtp-send sends multicast packets?

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Fri Feb 15 14:51:46 PST 2008

I tried setting the routing table to direct to other interfaces but the
packets keep appearing on the interface i didn't want. Each of the 4 rtp
send modules goes to a different multicast address, so I figured that
would be easy to route. It is fully possible that I was specifying the
route incorrectly, so I will double check that.

The reason for multicasting was allowing the sinks to connect to any of
the four players while they were in operation, no interuption. That way
any or all zones can connect to any mpd stream at will without interuption.

It is very good to know though that the rtp module has no sync feedback
(at least not to the crystal level). I have tested playing back 4 rtp
receiver modules at once on the same machine and notice echoing effects,
so I knew the sync wasn't perfect, but close, and probably good enough
for room to room.

I think I am going to investigate the combine module route more as per
Tanu's suggestion. That should give me the better sink solution with
hopefully tolerable processor/memory loads. I am on a core 2 duo
machine, and all the outputs will be on one 8 channel sound card, so in
theory syncing won't hurt too much.

Thanks for the info Lennart.

Matt