[pulseaudio-discuss] rtp question

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Feb 20 00:42:22 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:10:39PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> i'm curious about the rtp capability -- is there anything in the
> protocol to guarantee synchronization all the way to the sound hardware?

As far as I know and understand how RTP works, no. The
receiving machines would need to communicate their latencies
to each other. Or so I think. This mail suggests that
syncing will be implemented:
https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2008-February/001354.html

> i understand that since the stream is multicast, all network receivers
> will get it at the same time, but different servers may have different
> latencies.  i suppose these latencies will tend to be constant, and
> not drift, but i'm worried that if the sound hardware is driving systems
> that can be heard from one another (e.g., one in the kitchen, one in
> the livingroom two rooms away) that the delay may be annoying.

If all the receiving machines use simple alsa sinks with
default configuration, (and the same sample rate and sample
size), I would guess that their internal latencies would be
pretty much the same.

> any experience with this?

No, I haven't used RTP myself.

--