[pulseaudio-discuss] rtp question

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Wed Feb 20 07:15:52 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:11:11AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > Now I use module-tunnel + module-combine, which works just fine. It's
>  > good enough that you can't really tell whether the slight reverb effect
>  > you get in the hallway is network induced or just the acoustics of the
>  > house. I haven't yet tried running an audio cable across the house to
>  > find out.  :-)
>
> ah -- that's good news.  having just read the descriptions of
> those modules, i'm a little surprised it works, but i'll take
> your word for it. :-)  to clarify:  module-combine is run on the
> "source" machine, and the tunnels run to the machines with the
> audio h/w, correct?  it's going to take me a while to get my head
> around the terminology and how these things interconnect.

module-combine and module-tunnel-sink both run on the "source" machine.
The destination machines just need to run module-native-protocol-tcp.

> a somewhat related question:  part of my current system involves
> being able to redirect a music stream from one room to another.
> i use a customized irmp3 program to control a customized mpg123
> program.  the mpg123 is sending its output to a remote NAS
> server, and can be told via irmp3 to close that connection and
> open a new one to a different NAS server.  this is useful when i
> move from the living room to the kitchen to make dinner.  :-)

That sounds complicated. :)  I personally use mpd which gives me one
central music player with GUIs for controlling it on every machine in
the house. (including my N800 and my wife's macbook)

> i'm thinking that if i had the synchronized distribution system
> going that we've been talking about, that i could enable one or
> the other (or both) "sinks" at any time -- they'd both be
> available, i'd just unmute (or otherwise enable) the one(s) i
> wanted to hear.

PulseAudio can seamlessly switch a stream from once sink to another, so
this sort of thing is a piece of cake.

> since that will be a bigger change to my home control
> infrastructure (which is a set of networked scripts held together
> with virtual chewing gum and string), is there a way in pulse to
> do "switching" as i'm doing it now?  i just noticed the "remap"
> module -- could i use it, again, perhaps with tunnels, to select
> one destination or the other?

module-remap is not what you want. You don't need any special module to
switch streams on the fly. You can redirect/mute/unmute streams with
pavucontrol, PulseAudio's volume control GUI. Or, if you prefer, you can
script things with pactl and/or pacmd. All of these tools can be used
remotely too.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com