[pulseaudio-discuss] rtp question

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Wed Feb 20 07:24:34 PST 2008

cj van den berg wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:11:11AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > ah -- that's good news.  having just read the descriptions of
 > > those modules, i'm a little surprised it works, but i'll take
 > > your word for it. :-)  to clarify:  module-combine is run on the
 > > "source" machine, and the tunnels run to the machines with the
 > > audio h/w, correct?  it's going to take me a while to get my head
 > > around the terminology and how these things interconnect.
 >
 > module-combine and module-tunnel-sink both run on the "source" machine.
 > The destination machines just need to run module-native-protocol-tcp.

maybe i don't understand what module-tunnel-sink does, then.  how
is it different than a client simply playing to a remote machine?
i.e., is
  paplay --network--> module-native-protocol-tcp
any different from:
  paplay --> module-tunnel-sink --network--> module-native-protocol-tcp

?

 > > a somewhat related question:  part of my current system involves
 > > being able to redirect a music stream from one room to another.
 > > i use a customized irmp3 program to control a customized mpg123
 > > program.  the mpg123 is sending its output to a remote NAS
 > > server, and can be told via irmp3 to close that connection and
 > > open a new one to a different NAS server.  this is useful when i
 > > move from the living room to the kitchen to make dinner.  :-)
 >
 > That sounds complicated. :)  I personally use mpd which gives me one
 > central music player with GUIs for controlling it on every machine in
 > the house. (including my N800 and my wife's macbook)

i've had my current system in place for almost 10 years, i think.  i
worked with what i had.  i've looked at mpd in the past, but since
it wasn't NAS-aware, it didn't serve my needs.  my current setup is
controllable via the web, and especially via text-browsers like lynx.
but i should look at something more, uh, modern.  :-)

 > module-remap is not what you want. You don't need any special module to
 > switch streams on the fly. You can redirect/mute/unmute streams with
 > pavucontrol, PulseAudio's volume control GUI. Or, if you prefer, you can
 > script things with pactl and/or pacmd. All of these tools can be used
 > remotely too.

thanks.  i feel like i'm missing some documentation.  where are the pa*
tools fully documented?  man pages would be nice, of course, but i'm
old-fashioned that way.  :-)

paul