[pulseaudio-discuss] rtp question

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Wed Feb 20 07:52:54 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:24:34AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> cj van den berg wrote:
>  > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:11:11AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > > ah -- that's good news.  having just read the descriptions of
>  > > those modules, i'm a little surprised it works, but i'll take
>  > > your word for it. :-)  to clarify:  module-combine is run on the
>  > > "source" machine, and the tunnels run to the machines with the
>  > > audio h/w, correct?  it's going to take me a while to get my head
>  > > around the terminology and how these things interconnect.
>  >
>  > module-combine and module-tunnel-sink both run on the "source" machine.
>  > The destination machines just need to run module-native-protocol-tcp.
>
> maybe i don't understand what module-tunnel-sink does, then.  how
> is it different than a client simply playing to a remote machine?
> i.e., is
>   paplay --network--> module-native-protocol-tcp
> any different from:
>   paplay --> module-tunnel-sink --network--> module-native-protocol-tcp

The difference is that you can't switch between sinks on two different
remote hosts. Sink switching only works within a single pulseaudio
daemon process. module-tunnel-sink makes a remote sink look like a local
sink which means that if you have several of them, then you can switch
between them and/or use module-combine on them.

>  > module-remap is not what you want. You don't need any special module to
>  > switch streams on the fly. You can redirect/mute/unmute streams with
>  > pavucontrol, PulseAudio's volume control GUI. Or, if you prefer, you can
>  > script things with pactl and/or pacmd. All of these tools can be used
>  > remotely too.
>
> thanks.  i feel like i'm missing some documentation.  where are the pa*
> tools fully documented?  man pages would be nice, of course, but i'm
> old-fashioned that way.  :-)

All the command line tools should have man pages from 0.9.8 onwards
iirc. The GUI tools have simple man pages in Debian, but not upstream.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj at vdbonline.com