[pulseaudio-discuss] Controlling where module-rtp-send sends multicast packets?

Matthew Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Wed Feb 20 08:28:26 PST 2008

I just thought I would check back on this. Last night I reworked my
control app and pulse configuration. Now I can use either rtp or the
combine module to perform the audio matrix switching. There is
definitely more load on the system, even when using the combine module
with the default resampling. The syncing is definitely better than the
rtp method, but only marginally. When I change to a better syncing alg I
can't really test anything because my system screeches to a halt with so
much cpu load! I am working on a slower laptop for dev so that is not
surprising.

The important part is my router doesn't puke on all the multicast data,
so I think I will stick with this for the moment.

In case anyone was curious, here's a snippet for my default config. I
remap my 8 channel audio card to 4 stereo cards, naming each one a
zone#. Then I combine everything and perform the mute adjustments from
my python/php app.

# we leave only one of the outputs unmuted at startup, that is our
player selection
load-module module-combine sink_name=p1 master=zone1
slaves=zone2,zone3,zone4
#set-sink-input-mute 4 1
set-sink-input-mute 5 1
set-sink-input-mute 6 1
set-sink-input-mute 7 1
load-module module-combine sink_name=p2 master=zone1
slaves=zone2,zone3,zone4
set-sink-input-mute 8 1
#set-sink-input-mute 9 1
set-sink-input-mute 10 1
set-sink-input-mute 11 1
load-module module-combine sink_name=p3 master=zone1
slaves=zone2,zone3,zone4
set-sink-input-mute 12 1
set-sink-input-mute 13 1
#set-sink-input-mute 14 1
set-sink-input-mute 15 1
load-module module-combine sink_name=p4 master=zone1
slaves=zone2,zone3,zone4
set-sink-input-mute 16 1
set-sink-input-mute 17 1
set-sink-input-mute 18 1