[pulseaudio-discuss] Emulate Alsa A52 plugin in pulseaudio ?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Feb 28 21:28:46 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 09:57:31PM -0500, Jim Duda wrote:
> The first thing I need to do is to get the spdif port on my CMPCI to
> work with pulseaudio.  I'm finding that defining an alsa-sink manually
> using device surround51 doesn't work, I don't get any audio.

Instead of surround51, try spdif.

> Allowing pulseaudio to auto-detect does allow audio to work, but only
> with 2 channels.
>
> With auto-detection load-module module-detect, I get:
>
> *** Sink #0 ***
> Name: alsa_output.hw_0
> Driver: modules/module-alsa-sink.c
> Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
> Channel Map: front-left,front-right
> Owner Module: 0
> Volume: muted
> Monitor Source: 0
> Latency: 59501 usec
> Flags: HW_VOLUME_CTRL LATENCY HARDWARE
>
> This above gives me stereo only through the spdif port.

I don't know about module-detect, but module-hal-detect will
by default use just two channels. The default is configured
with default-sample-channels in daemon.conf.

If you still don't have progress, I would think that one
possible solution would be to run those programs that need
AC-3 passthrough with pasuspender (e.g. start mplayer with
command "pasuspender mplayer") and configure the programs to
use the spdif device directly.

> If I used anything besides nothing or channels=2, I don't get any audio.

Here I'm a bit confused - what do you give that parameter
to? I thought you were talking about module-detect, but it
doesn't accept that parameter.

--
Tanu Kaskinen