[pulseaudio-discuss] cracks and pops with intelHDA

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Sat Jan 12 03:35:24 PST 2008

Ritesh Kumar wrote:

> What was problem you wanted to solve... (network audio?). May be I can help.

I had posted here a few weeks ago. I have an amplifier with USB terminal
(and accompanying DAC) that removes the USB DAC (power down) when
powered down. This is a problem for me because I need to supply both the
amplifier and the internal soundcard with audio 24/7. When the amplifier
's USB DAC goes away, the device is removed by alsa, which most programs
don't like. My thought was to use PulseAudio to solve this, but
PulseAudio does indeed notice that the USB DAC goes away, and actually
even re-enables it when it comes back, but never inserts it back into
the "combined" device.

Now I've solved it using mpd (which can drive multiple outputs and
enable/disable these at well) and udev (to enable/disable the USB DAC in
mpd when powering up/down the amplifier). Works nicely.