[pulseaudio-discuss] Calling all pulseaudio packagers!!

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 29 02:23:37 PST 2008

Hi,

As some of you know I package pulseaudio for Mandriva.

We, along with many other distros, are following Fedora's lead and
moving to pulseaudio as a standard sound system.

As most of you know, while pulse purports to be the most complete
solution, with both OSS and ALSA "hijackers" (not the right term but the
best one to cover both :)). This is indeed quite true and it makes
integrating pulse that bit easier.

Recently the known incompatibilities page was created on the pa wiki
which is a useful page, but I think we need to come up with a way for
all distros to "share the pain" (or more accurate "share the
antiseptic"!) where we can post the workarounds and patches that we have
each applied to various packages to cope with pulseaudio?

We all have bugs:

Fedora:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?version=&component=&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=MODIFIED&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=pulseaudio&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=

Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=pulseaudio&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=

Suse:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=pulseaudio

and of course:
Mandriva (dep tree of our tracking bug):
http://qa.mandriva.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=35933

If we all agree that fixing these issues is "A Good Thing" perhaps we
should create a wiki page where we just jot down a quick not to say e.g.
"Patched package x with the following patch to fix pulse audio" etc.

An example would be the comment left on pa bug 133 today concerning the
allegro sound library. Also Mandriva's padsp patches which apparently
fixes several apps including amsn (pa bug 227).

Clearly if our fixes require patches to pulse we should open up a ticket
on pa's trac so that Lennart or whoever can apply it to trunk, but a
quick note to other packagers would also help make for stable pulse
packages in distros (e.g. most people shipping 0.9.8/9 would hopefully
be patching tunnel!) which overall improves public opinion of pulse
which should be a goal all of us want!

What do others think?