[pulseaudio-discuss] optimising stream buffer parameters (mythtv)

cal cal at graggrag.com
Wed Jul 9 03:06:55 PDT 2008

My little mythtv PulseAudio output effort is ticking along fairly
nicely, but I'm more than a little puzzled over the stream buffer
parameters to use. By default, pa_stream_connect_playback() sets
up with
  maxlength 96000
  minreq    1280
  prebuf   62720
  tlength  64000
which to me feels just a little extravagant in the mythtv context.

My guesstimates on refining/tightening them goes along the lines
of ...
- set minreq based on say 10-20 msecs @ given samplerate
- set maxlength to 16 times minreq
- set tlength to 2/3 to 3/4 of maxlength
- no idea what the ideal prebuf might be, guessing at slightly
  less than tlength.

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers, Cal