[pulseaudio-discuss] No sound with M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 16 09:06:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, 16.07.08 16:12, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Kostas Gerontis wrote:
> > Hey :) Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply :)
> > The irc channel seems kind of... too quiet, so i'll also give the
>
> Hehe, it's either feast of famine.... a lively party or a lone
> tumbleweed! :p
>
> > pastebin link here... I've highlighted the error messages:
> >
> > http://bcm.pastebin.com/m13401731
> >
> > I got kind of confused when trying to reach to a conclusion.
>
> Not too sure what to make of it myself but hopefully someone more
> familiar with the h/w can help.

The device has 12 channels. 12ch sound cards are not really supported
by ALSA. You can use them as naked PCM devices, but they have no well
defined channel mapping in alsa. This is a serious limitation of ALSA.

The current git version of PA will synthesize a channel map for
devices like this. Older versions (like yours) just fail. But even in
the git versions, it might get those synthetic mappings
wrong. I.e. rear and lfe swapped and stuff like this. You can make
this work by disabling automatic configuration via module-hal and
instead manually loading module-alsa-sink with a manual channel
map. (see wiki)

Please file a bug to upstream ALSA, requesting to support a device
string like "front:0" or "surround51:0" or suchlike for your
device. Since the ALSA BTS is pretty much ignored by ALSA upstream,
you might want to do this via posting to their ML.