[pulseaudio-discuss] errors while starting pulseaudio on fedora 9

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 17 15:48:03 PDT 2008

Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 17-Jul-08, 12:01 (CDT), Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>>> I ran:
>>> $ pulseaudio -vv --system
>> Why do you start it as root? PA is intended to be run as normal user daemon.
>
> So what is the preferred technique for running PA on a music server box
> with (normally) no user logins?

Create a user and run it as that. But on a headless box, that's pretty
similar to running it as system wide daemon (as it drops privs to a
"pulse" user anyway), and in this use case I think it's more or less
recommended to run as  system process.

That said if you are using a music daemon of some sort, pulse 0.9.11
will support autospawning by default and that will become the
recommended route (as it will start a pulse daemon as the user of music
daemon).