[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio and alsa snd-hda-intel driver

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jul 21 08:01:17 PDT 2008

Jack Howarth wrote:
> Do I need to resort to something like the fix mentioned in...
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/109439
>
> of commenting...
>
> load-module module-hal-detect
> load-module module-detect
>
> in /etc/pulse/default.pa and adding...
>
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=default
> load-module module-alsa-source device=default
>
> Thanks in advance as there doesn't seem to be any clear information
> out there on using snd-hda-intel with pulseaudio.

With PA 0.9.11 lots of features of the ALSA API are being used that not
many apps have used before and this is exposing lots of fun bugs in alsa
(not to mention the ones in PA!).

Lennart has posted a batch of patches to the latest alsa 1.0.17 to the
alsa mailing list over the last couple of days. Make sure you are using
1.0.17 alsa drivers (recompile your kernel or at least patch it
appropriately via dkms or similar), and the 1.0.17 libs/plugins etc. +
the afore mentioned patches.

You can work around some of the bugs by doing a similar thing to the
above but using device=hw:0 (which may or may not be "default").

PA 0.9.11 is a very different beast to 0.9.10 which for the most part
"just worked" with hda drivers.