[pulseaudio-discuss] Alsa's mixer interface with pulseaudio plugin

Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Tue Jul 29 01:52:23 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm just trying to implement a volume control using the Alsa mixer API.
That works already with plain ALSA but not if PA is used.
When using plain Alsa I'm getting the PCM mixer to work while with PA I
found there is only a Master mixer available which I can get but the
volume get functions are returning strange values.
I'm using
   snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_dB_range()
   snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_dB()
The range looks suspicious (1-140576480) but the reported volume is 0
what makes no sense.

So do I need to do something different for PA or won't it work anyway?

Thanks,
  Wolfgang