[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiseat and pulseaudio

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 30 07:48:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, 30.07.08 16:41, Michal Sawicz (michal at sawicz.net) wrote:

> Dnia 2008-07-30, śro o godzinie 15:54 +0200, Lennart Poettering pisze:
> > I am not sure if the system wide daemon is a good choice here.
>
> I wanted to tell him the same thing, but refrained from it... 'Cause on
> the other hand it seems to be the only way - having all the users able
> to send audio to all the cards. If the users don't, for example, use the
> same seats every time, it will be difficult to get the correct card to
> send to. On the other hand the system wide approach would let the users
> 'spam' each other's speakers... A per-user daemon would mean that the
> cards would be blocked whenever one of the users use it, no? This way it
> would be possible for one user to block all the cards... And yeah, I
> don't have a clear idea on how to do it, either.

In the long run ConsoleKit will make available the information which
sound card belongs to which seat.

It shouldn't be too difficult to script something that makes sure that
the right device is used for the right seat. Wit a bit of udev + shell
+ pactl you should be able to get something done that should work.

If all users can access each other's sound devices I'd consider this a
big security hole.

Please note that system mode is explicitly not intended to be used in
setups like this one. If multiple local uses log in, run a PA instance
for each user. The system mode is for embedded cases, for networked
cases. But multi-seat doesn't qualify as neither.

> > > I have installed pulseaudio with a system-wide deamon. I setup the
> > > device chooser , I have edit the .pulse/default-sink for the
> > default
> >
> > Don't use the device chooser. It's obsolete.
>
> You mean padevchooser?

Yes. That's what I meant.