[pulseaudio-discuss] Question from a new user

Christian christian08 at runbox.com
Thu Jul 31 11:23:05 PDT 2008

On 2008-07-29 at 21:35 Colin Guthrie wrote:

>Christian wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have just subscribed to this list.
>> I want to record what is coming through my soundcard.
>> I am using Ubuntu Hardy v8.04.
>> I have been trying to use both Audacity and Gnusound with padsp but so
>far no luck. I cannot playback or record anything when using this.
>> Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.
>
>What you want to do is record the "monitor" source for your sink.
>
>$ pactl list | grep "Monitor Source"
>Monitor Source: alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor
>
>You should then be able to use something like:
>
>$ parec alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor >file.wav
>
>Or even something more fancy like:
>$ gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc
>device=alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor ! audioconvert
>  ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! shout2send ip=<blah> port=8000 password=hackme
>mount=stream.ogg
>

>However, I'm having trouble with this right now on my 0.9.11 install :s
>
>/me wonders if monitor streams are broken in 0.9.11
>
>Col
Hi again,
I've tried this but I can't get it to work.
In the Pulseaudio volume control I set the monitor as the default input source.
But nothing is being recorded. May I try something else instead?
Maybe someone can confirm if this is broken or not?
Don't know what version of Pulseaudio that comes with Ubuntu Hardy.
Best regards and thanks,
Christian