[pulseaudio-discuss] [pulseaudio-commits] r2495 - /trunk/src/Makefile.am

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jun 4 05:17:14 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 04.06.08 09:14, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>
>> The trouble was I had my systems pulse devel package installed and it
>> didn't mess up the build when I tested it. When I submitted a patched
>> mdv package to our build cluster (we enable --as-needed by default now)
>> it spat out the error and I knew I had a problem and figured it out from
>> there :)
>
> /me thinks --as-needed is a bad idea. A really bad idea.

Not to try and go tooo far off topic for this list, but can you
elaborate on why?

We have a very annoying amount of problems with overlinking and bogus
package dependences which is also a very bad idea :( To give a trivial
example, deprecating xcb-xlib.so as the lastest git master does,
required half the distro to be rebuild depsite none of the other
packages directly using this library...