[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with module-oss

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jun 8 14:58:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, 14.05.08 16:35, Ken Mandelberg (km at mathcs.emory.edu) wrote:

> My overall goal is to run pulseaudio on a Linux Sunray session which has
> an OSS /dev/dsp. This is kind of a complicated situation, so I am trying
> to do the  equivalent first on a laptop that already has pulse working.
>
> On the laptop (Ubuntu 8.04) it works with an alsa sink.
>
> However, I changed my default.pa to instead use
>
> load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
>
> I do hear the startup jingle /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav on login,
> but I don't know if thats coming from pulse or not. I do see a reference
> to it in the "info".
>
> Anything I then try to "paplay" hangs. I know the /dev/dsp is good
> because mplayer can use it directly with "-ao oss". I can also cat au
> files to the /dev/dsp successfully.

Hmm, someone posted something about Sunray stuff before. Apparently
the /dev/dsp emulation is, let's say, not really stellar. This is most
likely just another bug like this in the sunray drivers and I fear you
have to sit down with a debugger yourself to find the bug, since I
cannot really help you from remote.