[pulseaudio-discuss] Needed kernel modules for pulseaudio

Michael Schöller michael.schoeller at schoeller-soft.net
Thu Jun 12 15:03:54 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering schrieb:
> On Thu, 12.06.08 00:04, Michael Schöller (michael.schoeller at schoeller-soft.net) wrote:
>

>> I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if this question
>> was already answered 100 times before but I did not find anything about
>> this.
>>
>> I'm running Fedora9 on an PS3. I configured pulseaudio and with the
>> default kernel sound is running fine. Now I want to compile my own
>> kernel. So I download the newest kernel sources from the ps3 kernel tree
>> and created an config file with make ps3_defconfig. Well with this
>> kernel sound aplay is working so sound support seems to be ok. The
>> problem is that it looks like pulse audio is not finding the sound
>> device. The mixer applet in gnome stop working too.
>> So my question is what have to be activated in the kernelconfig, so that
>> pulseaudio (or maybe audio, I'm not really sure if this is an pulseaudio
>> problem) is working again. Maybe it has something to do with HAL support
>> but I know really nothing about that stuff so I hope some "sound
>> experts" could give me an Hand.
>>

> Check if your sound card is found by "lshal". If it is, is it tagged
> as ALSA device, i.e. bears properties that begin with "alsa."?
>
> Lennart

Ok solved the problem an other way. This time I do not use make
ps3_defconfig but make oldconfig. The kernel now is much bigger (and
slower) but pulseaudio is working (so its no version conflict problem).
If I run in the same problem again I will take your advices and try to
locate the needed config entry.

Michael