[pulseaudio-discuss] How to PA -> PA

db5 at exemail.com.au db5 at exemail.com.au
Wed Jun 18 23:40:38 PDT 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:59:50 +0100
Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> Am I right in saying that you want to *run* applications on you your
> server but have the display *and* sound come out on the X client?
YES.  Sorry, I didn't mean to hell.

> It's
> odd that you are starting a system deamon (why not per user?) or is
> this a dumb machine which only has a root account?
Yes, just root.

> On the Old X Client Box, you have a local (per-user) pulseaudio
> deamon running and module-x11-publish loaded (the default).
"(per-user)".  (Scratch my head).  Sorry I don't understand.  On the
"Old X Client Box" X Terminal I am not intending to have users other
than root.

In /etc/pulse/default.da I have:
load-module module-x11-publish

The logs don't look pretty though:

pulseaudio[29098]: module.c: Failed to load  module
"module-x11-publish" (argument: ""): initialization failed.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:05:07 +0100
Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> You start on the "X terminal" and you want to SSH to "App server" and
> run you application with the visual display and the sound of what you
> run on your local display/speakers! This is the typical setup most
> people want.
I sit at the X terminal.  I would only "SSH to "App server"" by going
to a virtual console logging in and then "SSH to "App server"".  I
don't know why I would do that.  What tends to happen is the X server
on the X terminal gets a screen from xdm on the application
server.  To establish Pulseaudio on the Xterminal I SSH from the App
server to the X terminal.  Gmplayer runs on the application server and
I want to be able to hear it, as well as see it, on the X terminal.

Thanks for you help Guys.

Regards

Fog_Watch.

 /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
 |  Application Serv.                                                     |
 |  /---------------\                                                     |
 |  |               |                                                     |
 |  |Display manager|                                                     |
 |  |Gmplayer-pulse |                                                     |
 |  |               |                                                     |
 |  |Headless       |                                                     |
 |  |No speakers    |                                                     |
 |  |Network card   |                                                     |
 |  \-------+-------/                                                     |
 |          ;                                                             |
 |        /                                                               |
 |      ,'                                                                |
 |     /                                                       |         ||
 |    /                                                        |         ||
 |  ,'                                      X Terminal         |         ||
 | (                                      /------------\      ,+--------"||
 |  \                                     |X11 Server  |   ,-;.....,-"   ||
 |   :                                    |PA          |   |   |   |     ||
 |    \                                   |Keyboard    |   |   |   |     ||
 |     :                                  |Screen      |   |   |   |     ||
 |     :                                  |Sound card  |   |       |      |
 |      \                                 |Speakers    |   |       |      |
 |       `-------------.                  |Network card|                  |