[pulseaudio-discuss] Cannot start pulseaudio with custom kernel

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 21 12:55:15 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am on Fedora 9, pulseaudio 0.9.10, linux 2.6.25.4

I've recompiled my own kernel from the sources and pulseaudio does not start.
Using the Fedora official kernel it works.
I've used the config from Fedora and it works (without all the patches), but there are too many
different options (wrt my config) to find the culprit.

This is the error message:

E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: No such file or directory
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0
sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_24c5_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0"): initialization failed.

I've compared the strace of a working and failing run and the difference seems to be here:

Working
open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDONLY)    = 15

Not Working
open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDONLY)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

I've compared the 2 directories /dev/snd and there is a small difference:

Working
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 13 2008-06-18 22:00 controlC0
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  6 2008-06-18 22:00 controlC1
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 12 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 11 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116, 10 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  9 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  8 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC0D3c
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  7 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC0D4p
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  5 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC1D0c
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  4 2008-06-18 22:00 pcmC1D0p
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  3 2008-06-18 22:00 seq
crw-rw----+ 1 root root 116,  2 2008-06-18 22:00 timer

Not working
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116, 10 2008-06-18 21:19 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116, 13 2008-06-18 21:19 controlC1
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  9 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  8 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  7 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  6 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  5 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC0D3c
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  4 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC0D4p
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116, 12 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC1D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116, 11 2008-06-18 21:19 pcmC1D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  3 2008-06-18 21:19 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root root 116,  2 2008-06-18 21:19 timer

2 differences:

1) the minors have changed
2) what is the "+" after the permissions?

Anybody has a clue?

Andrea