[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio and NX from NoMachine

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Jun 21 15:31:38 PDT 2008

Hello, all, and thanks to the developers for a great product.  We
struggled at first but are now very much enamored of pulseaudio.

The problem is integrating it with NX for our remote clients in that NX
runs an nxesd daemon to transfer the sound from the NX Server to the NX
Client.  We are using esd pulse compatibility.  Applications which can
be configured to use esd are working just fine with pulseaudio and NX.
However, applications such as Skype seem to insist on using the sound
device directly and do not support esd.

We configured ALSA with the pulse plugin:

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

But the applications appear to be using the pulse native protocol (as
expected).  The unfortunate part is that nxesd does not seem to
recognize the native protocol, only the esound protocol.

I tried disabling the native protocol and native protocol network
support (although we do not need the network support - NX is handling
that) but that did not work.

Is there anyway to either force pulseaudio to always use the esound
protocol or to redirect its native protocol through esd? I would imagine
the former would perform better than the latter.

Pardon me but I am a complete newbie when it comes to sound of any
implementation.  I'm a network guy working on a remote access project.
Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation