[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio and NX from NoMachine

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jun 21 15:45:12 PDT 2008

On Sat, 21.06.08 18:31, John A. Sullivan III (jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com) wrote:

> But the applications appear to be using the pulse native protocol (as
> expected).  The unfortunate part is that nxesd does not seem to
> recognize the native protocol, only the esound protocol.
>
> I tried disabling the native protocol and native protocol network
> support (although we do not need the network support - NX is handling
> that) but that did not work.
>
> Is there anyway to either force pulseaudio to always use the esound
> protocol or to redirect its native protocol through esd? I would imagine
> the former would perform better than the latter.

The esd protocol doesn't even povide the most simple timing
primitives. As such it is only useful for the most basic music
playback, where timing does not matter.

The ALSA API requires proper timing support. Since esd cannot provide
that it makes no sense to run the ALSA API on top of the esd protocol.

Sorry,