[pulseaudio-discuss] darkice/icecast issue

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Jun 25 09:31:46 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:24:02AM +0200, Sebastian Wieseler wrote:
> Hello guys.
>
> I've got a question about darkice/icecast together with pulseaudio.
> How do they work together?
>
> The only result of Google was:
> gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc
> device=alsa_output.pci_8086_27d8_alsa_playback_0.monitor ! audioconvert
>   ! vorbisenc ! oggmux ! shout2send ip=example.com port=8000
> password=hackme mount=stream.ogg
>

> But
> 	# gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc
> 	ERROR: pipeline could not be constructed: no element "pulsesrc".
> failed for me. :-/
>
> And the ALSA device above is not accepted of the darkice, but I dunno
> what my device is. :-/

What do you mean by it's "not accepted of the darkice"? If I
understand that gst-launch command correctly, it's a
complete replacement for darkice. If you want to use that
command, run paman, and see the Devices tab. Under the
Sources section are the devices that you can use for
recording.

If you want to use darkice, you don't use that device name,
because that's a pulseaudio specific name, and darkice
doesn't seem to support pulseaudio natively. You probably
need to give the alsa device name somewhere in darkice's
configuration (I have never used darkice myself). It depends
on distro whether or not you already have an alsa device
that uses pulseaudio.

If your distro has set up alsa so that by default all alsa
applications use pulseaudio, then a suitable alsa device
name is "default". Otherwise have a look at
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#ALSAApplications

--
Tanu Kaskinen