[pulseaudio-discuss] Loading module-null-sink when no real sinks found.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 11 18:29:16 PDT 2008

OK, I've implemented the first draft of this idea.

It works OK (well, doesn't seem to crash!) but has a couple issues.

If it's loaded at startup and no other sinks are created, it will
automatically create a null-sink for you. You can play sound and as soon
as you add another sink (could be your own null-sink or a real sound
device e.g. from usb etc) it will automatically unload the null-sink it
started. The idea is that module-recover-streams should take over and
move all the streams from the null-sink to the new sink added. This
doesn't seem to work in my tests. I get a blip of audio and then mplayer
just freezes. I'm not sure that's my fault (the audio does start afterall).

The other way round seems to work fine, e.g. starting playing with a
real sink, and removing the said sink, a null-sink is automatically
loaded and the recover-streams kicks in and works.

I would have thought that the case where it fails should have been more
successful and the case where it works could have failed (as it uses one
of the same hooks as recover-streams, tho' I *was* careful to load my
module first).

Can someone please comment on the code and the ideas and if I'm doing
something fundamentally stupid?

The whole "u->ignore" flag in there seems a bit wrong and I've maybe
missed something obvious there.

Cheers

Col